Re: gEDA-user: blue sky ideas - written down finally

On Sat, Dec 26, 2009 at 7:11 PM, DJ Delorie <dj@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I took the time to document my ideas about heavy vs light symbols and
> the pin mapping problem:
>
> http://www.delorie.com/pcb/component-dbs.html

here here, i'd like to see the generic ABI defined.

family symbols might be a good concept.  it's a medium weight symbol
for a family of parts.  e.g. an FPGA family, or uC family, or is this
still a light symbol?

> http://www.delorie.com/pcb/pin-mapping.html

Some comments....

[(A,B),Y]=([(1,2),3],[(4,5),6],[(9,10),8],[(12,13),11])

This is a bit complicated of a syntax..... and duplicate information.
propose that the pin numbers don't get swapping information added.
just the virtual pins A and B

[(A,B),Y]=([1,2,3],[4,5,6],[9,10,8],[12,13,11])

slightly easier to type and read, as the virtual A/B pins can swap.

does the outer () denote that the groups can swap, and is this not
also redundant, but night make parsing easier?

[(A,B),Y]=[1,2,3], [4,5,6], [9,10,8], [12,13,11]

I think that this simplified down to the required parts.

  GND=7
  VCC=14

These need some marking to denote that they are like "net" connections
not virtual pins, meaning that they are not on a standard symbol, vs
assuming that if there is no pin than it is a net like connection.

GND|=7
VCC|=14

net(GND,7)
net(VCC,14)

or even make that more scheme like, but i don't know scheme all that
well, but you could define a special net function that provided
special functions. i.e.

analog_gnd(7) that maps to net(GND,7) with special sauce that would
look up the analog ground net and pre-populate external representation
of this info, table on schematic page etc.....

set_analog_gnd(AGND)

With this said, a schematic should have this info back annotated as
links to the symbol, having to look in three places to verify
connectivity is error prone. click the symbol and bam there is the
info is what's needed.

This seems to cover most bases, but you made no mention for mapping
mappings to physical, or did i miss something in the database stuff?