Re: gEDA-user: blue sky ideas - written down finally

As a newbie I probably should not be contributing at this level.
Still, this message is on the user list, and I am a member, and I have
an opinion on just about everything...

I simply submit a guiding principle that I believe is compatible with
the database concept:

In the ideal informationally open world, each part manufacturer will
feed the data in a digestible format; SPICE, footprint, and all. Thus
multiple nonlocal data sources (either standardless or within multiple
standards) is appropriate, much as gEDA currently has multiple element
libs.

I actually hate working with databases, but here you have a proper app.
for them as a network of decentralized sources already exist. The local
(application) repository ought to be regarded as a cache such that bug
fixes can migrate, and the multitude of redundant information heads back
toward their manufacturers or interpreters of such.

If you make room then perhaps they will fill the niche provided,
especially if that room is built to their needs as well as the end
user's needs, in one fell swoop(instead of one part at a time), birds
tweeting and blue sky...

 - Tim

TimGolden BSEE AB1AH PolySign http://www.BandTechnology.com 1261933998s