gEDA-user: Ancient pcb versions on Fink/MacPorts

Folks,

Hi.  I'm new to gEDA, so be gentle...  I'm running Mac OSX 10.5.8 on a
MacBook Pro.

I tried the Fink installation of gEDA, but the version of gschem thus
installed, 20071231, is two years old.  I really wanted to use the
path feature in the symbol files, and that version doesn't support
paths.  Grumble.  Why is the Fink install so old?  Perhaps Fink isn't
considered the best way to do this?

So I'm using the MacPorts install of geda-gaf, much more modern,
version 20091004, and that's been working.  Cool, my components look
sharp and schematic entry is going well.

Now I'm eager to do some pcb design.  I run gsch2pcb.

It turns out that pcb is not included in the MacPorts geda-gaf
install.  (Why?)  I find a separate MacPort install of pcb, and I'm
running that.  But pcb gives up early on in the .pcb file with, "line:
3, syntax error".

Line 3 of the pcb file is:
   FileVersion[20070407]

Which suggests there's a versioning issue.  The version of pcb that
MacPorts gives me is 20060321, the version of pcb that fink gives me
is 20060822.  This happens on both of those.  Those are both pretty
old, and that's probably the issue.

Where can I get a more modern version of pcb for a Mac?  Or is this a
case where Fink/MacPorts aren't useful and I need to do everything
from scratch?

Thanks.

  -- Don

--