Re: gEDA-user: New autorouter high effort mode

On Wednesday 01 December 2010 12:51:41 Kovacs Levente wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Nov 2010 08:53:38 +1100
> Stephen Ecob
>
> <silicon.on.inspiration@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > For my HE autorouter hack I have in mind to fork() off extra processes
> > so that all of my CPU cores can run separate autorouter instances.  As
> > HE has an unbounded run time I'm thinking that the main PCB process
> > should simply hang on to the UI to serve occasional display update
> > requests from the other processes, and to kill off the auto routing
> > processes on user command.
>
> I think it is enough to make multiple threads. They can run on different
> CPU cores. But I'm not usre.

On Linux and most BSDs, fork() with shared memory is actually cheaper than
threading, and much much easier to implement.  Unfortunately, that is not true
on Windows, where fork() is *very* expensive.  So most people use threads. :-/

                               Peter

--
Peter Brett <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Remote Sensing Research Group