Re: gEDA-user: Random thoughts on the future interface of PCB

On Dec 3, 2010, at 12:20 PM, Markus Hitter wrote:

> Am 03.12.2010 um 19:54 schrieb Bob Paddock:
>
>> Sorry, I can't buy the "its got to be a pain to use it" argument in
>> any manner at all.
>
> There's no need to buy this.
>
> A good example is simulation. The whole point of a simulation is to replace complex maths with a more pleasant experience.

I disagree. The whole point of simulation is to extend the math to situations that are impractical with hand methods. But if you haven't mastered hand methods, you will have great difficulty creating effective simulations.

> Undoubtly you could describe technical problems of any complexity with huge mathematical formulas, but doing a simulation is almost always much faster.

In many cases hand methods are faster if you know what you're doing. Simulators are stupid. You're much smarter.

I do a lot of simulation, but a pencil often yields more insight. If you avoid the math because you find it unpleasant, you will be severely limited in the range of problems you can effectively tackle.

http://www.noqsi.com/
jpd@xxxxxxxxx