Re: gEDA-user: TRACKERS [was: Re: gEDA-dev: Dev list [was: Random thoughts onthe future interface of PCB]]

Am 10.12.2010 um 21:03 schrieb Peter TB Brett:

My main objection to Launchpad in the past was that it was closed- source, but now that that has been changed... it's hard to find a reason not to use it for bug tracking instead of SF.net.

I've commited a bunch of bugs against Ubuntu, the prestige-project of Launchpad. Finding similar bugs, or any related bug was almost impossible. The project's source code feels so far away I never got in touch with it. So, no engouragement to actually fix something.

Another reason would be perhaps it's use of Bazaar instead of Git. This not-so enthusiastic experience might be Ubuntu specific, of course.

Using Github, the experience was a lot better. Regarding the messenging system it's not as full featured as the others, but sufficiently featured.

Everything on Github centers around the source code repository, so you almost have to run away to not start fixing the issue. Forks are still a fork, but pull requests and similar features make it more feel like a branch. Many people use this fork-and-pull-request thingy, so it's simple to review something or ask for refinements without worrying about the main repo. You can put comments right into the provided patches and they're picked up in the issue's tracker log. Very productive.

my $0.02
Markus

Dipl. Ing. (FH) Markus Hitter
http://www.jump-ing.de/