Re: gEDA-user: TRACKERS [was: Re: gEDA-dev: Dev list [was: Random thoughts onthe future interface of PCB]]

On Thursday 09 December 2010 21:06:06 Peter Clifton wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-12-09 at 21:22 +0100, Bert Timmerman wrote:
> > ... gEDA and friends can even keep the SF tracker system ...
>
> Actually, I have been looking quite seriously at the possibility of
> ditching SF trackers and moving all the history of bugs to Launchpad.
>
> I can do a fairly lossless export, and I'm working on fixing some issues
> with the Launchpad bug import code to be able to translate any bug
> numbers embedded in the bug comments.
>
> Nothing is decided yet.. beyond verifying that it is technically
> feasible, I want to know that all the current developers buy in (or at
> least consent) to a move.
>
> Launchpad being properly open source now removes one potentially strong
> argument against its adoption, but no doubt there will be people who
> dislike it for other reasons, or trust SourceForge more than Canonical.
>
> I'd welcome feedback from people who actively encounter and report bugs
> (especially in favour of the move ;)).
>
> I'd also welcome feedback from anyone who works with bug reports, test
> patches, merge code etc... (Doesn't have to be with gEDA / PCB, anything
> regarding Launchpad / SourceForge).

Launchpad seems to have a number of advantages of SF.net, including the
ability to easily mark duplicate bugs and link bugs to a particular branch.
But it also does "simple", "easy" things better -- for example, it actually
sends the right content type for attachments to the browser.  It even has
sensible URLs for bugs.  You can also assign groups of people to a bug, as an
alternative to individual developers.

My main objection to Launchpad in the past was that it was closed-source, but
now that that has been changed... it's hard to find a reason not to use it for
bug tracking instead of SF.net.

                                 Peter

--
Peter Brett <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>