Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2010 10:33:39 +0000
From: Peter TB Brett <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: gEDA-user: get-package-attribute sometimes returns "?" -

Clif wrote:
To fix it in a uniform way I think we need to standardise what we
use as a place holder for an attribute. Sould we explicitly put
"unknown"? or "?"? Unfortunitly gschem won't let you put a null
string.

Hi Clif,

Since at the moment gnetlist internally uses the string "unknown" to
indicate a missing attribute, so that would be the logical choice to use
instead of "?" at this time.

In the longer term, I would actually quite like it to be legal to have
attributes with zero-length values.  However, that would obviously be a
more complicated patch.

I think that the spice-sdb backend should continue to choke on "blah=?"
attributes, for now.

Regards,

       Peter

--