Re: gEDA-user: Question about using slots in .sym files

I'm somewhat new at this so could you please elaborate?  I used gschem to
add four 7400-1.sym NAND symbols to my schematic.  They all have the same
refdes=U? And pins 1, 2, and 3.  What exactly am I renumbering?  It doesn't
appear that I can renumber the pins and it isn't clear how I insure that I
am referencing the same package.
Thanks!