Re: gEDA-user: get-package-attribute sometimes returns "?" - ID: 3114991

On Dec 17, 2010, at 1:21 AM, Peter TB Brett wrote:

> So what you are saying is that you think we should get rid of the "WTF?" function in the code, but not modify the symbol library?

I think there's nothing wrong with file=? in the symbols. It indicates that the you have failed to supply a required filename. (create-file-info-list), the "WTF?" function in spice-sdb, should issue a diagnostic if the file name is "?". Right now, all that results from substituting "unknown" is that it silently omits the file, which is surely wrong behavior. You won't even know there's a problem until you run SPICE, which has its own troubles with generating diagnostics that clearly identify the problem.

There are other problems with that function, too. Even if you give spice-sdb no reason to inspect included file contents (use -I --nomunge), it does so anyway. This can make building a subcircuit library tricky. If you want the automatic file inclusion for subcircuits to work you must build the library in topological order, because the included file must exist at netlist generation time even if you're not including it at that time, and have no dependence on its contents.

http://www.noqsi.com/
jpd@xxxxxxxxx