Re: gEDA-user: Hierarchy Refdes and Component Values

At 08:21 AM 12/19/2010, you wrote:
Armin Faltl wrote:

>> In addition, I set the refdes of the subsheet symbol to a
>> single digit. That way, the refdeses stand a chance to be
>> readable in in silk with a three layered hierarchy.
>>
> How about emitting only the "basename" of a refdes on silk

Then, I'd have no way to locate which schematic subsheet a
particular "R1" on the layout would correspond to. Of course,
all refdeses might be guaranteed to be different like starting
at R100 for one sub sheet and at R200 for the second. In that
case, refdes mangling can be switched off whole sale in a local
gnetlistrc:
  (hierarchy-uref-mangle "disabled")

Can you be sure this will work with all designs? Your approach would limit each subsheet to 100 of each type of component before name collisions happen. I can picture two ways of working around this.

One is to instead append a numeral or other indicator to the beginning of a refdes, i.e. when on subsheet 3 a part might be 3R15. Of course this could be confused with a part value, i.e. 15R3. But at least it will give a unique name regardless of the size of the subsheets.

The other is to have a feature in the schematic package to provide a unique number to each component. The subsheet instances would be processed in turn resulting in a unique number being assigned to each component in the design. If I understand correctly how subsheets work, I can see where you might want to display to the user a given subsheet only once rather than separately each time the sheet is referenced. But I may be missing something here.

Does it make sense to let the schematic package reassign ref des in multiple instances of a subsheet?

Rick