Re: gEDA-user: get-package-attribute sometimes returns "?" - ID: 3114991

On Thu, 2010-12-23 at 14:05 -0800, Colin D Bennett wrote:

> smaller won't achieve any improvement.  (Except in relation to default
> text size, perhaps.)

That is very similar to my thinking.
I have to admit that I have complained about too large text in 1.6.x
printout, but now I think its my own fault, I have populated the title
block to dense. (But still, I would like a function to scale all text.)

Symbols look all different, in various professional documents. So we may
discuss the relation in size between symbols, pin length, line
thickness, aspect ratio, placement of text. Shrinking all -- well,
sometimes I do waste my time too.

A point I was really thinking about was placement of text, various
shapes/rotations/sizes in one file, and invisible text.

It may make sense to have an easy ways to select different
shapes/sizes/rotations of the same symbol. We may do that by placing the
data in the same file, so we can easy select it, or link different
shapes together by filenames. A popup box may provide different shapes.

We may consider text boxes, which can have different content, i.e. a
primary box, which can show refdes in one view, or value in another
view, and secondary boxes, which can show footprint, spice-model...

And I am not really happy with handling of invisible text. We handle it
like visible text, but hide it. So we have to position it carefully,
just in case we may make it visible for changing. Maybe some text, like
version, license, datasheet, which is always invisible, should be a
special class, which is always accessed from editing window. Something
like gattrib build in into gschem.

Sorry, I have no solution currently.

Best regards

Stefan Salewski