Re: gEDA-user: Symbol creation problems

Enno Middelberg <emiddelb@mpifr-bonn.mpg.de> said:

> Hi all,
>

> I've installed the basic geda (gschem, geda-symbols, libgeda, all
> version 20020209) yesterday and I'm trying hard to create my own symbols
> following the symbol creation guide. Here is what I do:
>
> -I start gschem. Some error messages appear, telling me that there is no
> ~/.gEDA/gschemrc and local gschemrc file.
> -I draw a simple symbol. Snapping is on, grid spacing is 100 (seems to
> be the default)
> -I zoom in one step
> -I translate the symbol to the origin and save it as eg
> ..../geda-symbols-20020209/diode/smalldiode-1.sym

You appear to have saved the symbol in the distribution directory.  If this is
to be a local symbol, you should create it in the
`prefix'/share/gEDA/sym/local directory.  (For a local system wide symbol)  If
this is `private' for the current project, try creating a sym directory next
to the schematic directory in your project, and add it to the component search
list.  You should be able to find examples of this technique in the mailing
list archive.  (If not, I have some designs I can share.) If you plan to
contribute this symbol later, it doesn't matter where you create it now, it
can be put anywhere sensible in the tree.

> Next time I start gschem, I click on "Add component", go to the diode
> directory and find that my new component does not show up. What happens?
>

> Kind regards,
>
> Enno

                              Mike Jarabek
                                FPGA/ASIC Designer