gEDA-user: Symbol creation problems

Hi all,

I've installed the basic geda (gschem, geda-symbols, libgeda, all
version 20020209) yesterday and I'm trying hard to create my own symbols
following the symbol creation guide. Here is what I do:

-I start gschem. Some error messages appear, telling me that there is no
~/.gEDA/gschemrc and local gschemrc file.
-I draw a simple symbol. Snapping is on, grid spacing is 100 (seems to
be the default)
-I zoom in one step
-I translate the symbol to the origin and save it as eg
..../geda-symbols-20020209/diode/smalldiode-1.sym

Next time I start gschem, I click on "Add component", go to the diode
directory and find that my new component does not show up. What happens?

Kind regards,

Enno