Re: gEDA-user: Symbol creation problems

Enno Middelberg wrote:

>I've installed the basic geda (gschem, geda-symbols, libgeda, all
>version 20020209) yesterday and I'm trying hard to create my own symbols
>following the symbol creation guide. Here is what I do:
>
>-I start gschem. Some error messages appear, telling me that there is no
>~/.gEDA/gschemrc and local gschemrc file.
>-I draw a simple symbol. Snapping is on, grid spacing is 100 (seems to
>be the default)
>-I zoom in one step
>-I translate the symbol to the origin and save it as eg
>..../geda-symbols-20020209/diode/smalldiode-1.sym
>
>Next time I start gschem, I click on "Add component", go to the diode
>directory and find that my new component does not show up. What happens?

Do you have write permission to that directory ???  I assume it is the
install directory for the gschem symbols.  This is /usr/share/gEDA/sym/
for my Debian system.  You will probably have to install the new symbol
as root.  I usually run gschem as a normal user and save the symbols
somewhere in my home directory.  I then copy them to the appropriate
/usr/share/gEDA/sym directory as the super-user.

Brendan Simon.