gEDA-user: Re: gEDA: gEDA/gaf 20030223 source tarballs released.

Hi,

Here are the release notes for this release.  Also available at:

http://www.geda.seul.org/devel/20030223/gaf-20030223-relnotes.html

I want to caution everybody with existing gaf designs.   Even though I
do try to keep symbol sizes and such the same from release to release,
I do have to sometimes change/remove them, hence breaking any existing
schematics or designs.  If you want to be immune to this, please place
a copy of the all the symbols you are using in a local directory which
is searched first.  Eventually there will be a mechanism within gschem
to do this somewhat automatically, but for now it must be done manually.

Also, people who have contributed symbols, I sometimes rename them and/or
change their position (to be at the origin), also breaking existing
designs.  Please verify your designs/schematics/netlists *everytime*
you upgrade to a newer version of gaf.  I do try to not cause breakage,
but sometimes it is unavoidable.  After all, nobody is forcing a new
version upon you (especially the symbols)  :->

Enjoy and send all bug reports my way,

					-Ales
-- Cut here --

Release notes for the gEDA/gaf 20030223 development snapshot
CHANGES:

   General / Summary

        * Applied patch by Steve Tell's guile 1.6.x patches.  I am now
          developing with 1.6.3 exclusively and that means I should
          probably deal with the deprecated warnings at some time in
          the near future.

        * Applied Gabriel Paubert's auto* warning reduction patch to
          all ./configure files.

        * In preparation to getting the win32 port to work with the new
          distribution of mingw, changed all instances of
          -fnative-struct to -mms-bitfields.

        * Thanks to all who contributed patches/suggestions.

   libgeda

        * Bumped shared library version number to 18.

        * Applied Egil's patch to fix support for Norwegian/Danish/German
          characters.

        * Added code to take advantage of the libgdgeda 2.0.9's line
          thickness control.  PNG output now has some of the objects
          appearing to have the right thickness.  You will need libgdgeda
          2.0.9 to get this to work right.  Please upgrade.  libgdgeda 1.8
          should still work, but I recommend upgrading and let me know
          if you run into any trouble.

   gschem

        * Added Russian translation by Andy Shevchenko.

        * Applied a patch by Alexandre P. Nunes to fix the gtk_set_locale.
          Hopefully nobody should see commas in their postscript output
          anymore.

        * Changed how the "move operation" visually looks.  Now when
          you perform a move of some object (line, net, component,
          etc...), the original object is erase and all you see is the
          outline of the object being moved.  This looks a whole lot
          better and it is easy to tell if you are doing a move vs a copy
          (the original is not erased).  This was a surprising amount
          of work, mainly caused by a whole bunch of bad assumptions on
          my part.

        * Changed most menu items to be "greyed out" if nothing is selected.
          This is the another small step in getting the UI to be a little
          bit more "user friendly".  Lots of work todo in the UI department.

        * Fixed a bug where if a user executed File/Save All then then
          some schematics might not be saved, yet gschem exited.

        * Applied the patch by Patrick Bernaud to fix bug #45, which was
          arcs are sometimes not drawn on the grid, even though the snap
          is on.

        * Chris Ellec changed "Find Specific Text" to be a little bit more
          liberal in finding text.

        * Added 3200x1600 as a choice to the File/Image Write... dialog.
          Suggestion by Karel Kulhavy.

        * Fixed a long standing bug where if you pressed Page/Next or Prev
          at the end or beginning of the loaded schematics, the display
          would flicker.  Most annoying.

        * Further continued to name the existing "limits" (in the printing
          dialog box) to "extents".

        * Applied Antonio's no margin printing patch.

   gnetlist

        * Fixed a couple of bugs reported by Koichi Nagashima in
          gnet-partslist[1,2,3].scm where a required common file was not
          being found.

        * Fixed a typo in gnet-vams.scm which prevented the interface with
          gschem to work right.

        * Updated the annotate.sh and unannotate.sh scripts to handle the
          new refdes= attribute properly.

        * Fixed my breakage of the PADS backend when I converted to the
          footprint= attribute (a while ago).

   gsymcheck

        * No significant changes, though I have a few suggestions still
          pending.

   symbols

        * Werner Hoch further fixed warnings and errors in the 74 and
          4000 symbols libraries.  This work is greatly appreciated!

        * Hopefully fixed the problems people have been having with
          building the sample documentation contained in the symbol
          library.  Added nc.pdf, nc.ps, and nc.pic to the source
          tarballs.

        * Added all the improved/fixed Norwegian/Danish/German font
          symbols by Egil.

        * Added a whole slew of new symbols contributed via the upload
          mechanism.  Symbols submitted via the webpage are quite easy
          for me to integrate.  Also added a new component library:
          philips (includes only one symbol, but it's a start...).

        * Updated all symbols to version 20030223.  This will happen
          every release (and it's quite easy using gsymupdate).

   utils

        * Added filetype:pdf to gschemdoc when searching for online
          data sheets.  This does help in getting closer to the right
          data sheet from google.

        * Added -lm to the olib LDFLAGS.  There were some build problems
          because of this in the last release.

        * Chris Ellec updated gmk_sym to the latest set of file format
          changes (the ones that happened in 20021103).

        * Added refdes_renum perl script by Dan McMahill.  This is a
          useful script to go through and renumbers all reference
          designators on a single or multiple schematic sheets.

   docs

        * Hopefully fixed the $DESTDIR problem from the last release.

        * All docs contained in the geda-doc package are installed into
          ${prefix}/share/doc/geda-doc/...  Also changed all the mkdirs
          into installs.  Let me know if these changes still is not
          correct.

        * Converted the fileformats doc into latex so now this doc is
          available in html, ps, pdf, and dvi.

        * Lots of updates to the docs, including Egil's footprint patches.

        * Master attribute document now includes the author=, email= and
          comment= attributes.

   For more a detailed ChangeLog please look in the appropriate source
   directories.

BUGS/ERRATA/LAST MINUTE ISSUES

        * The following features/bugs did not make it into this release
          (but should make it into the next release):

                - Packaging up of the examples/ which basically just
                  contains gTAG.  gTAG is a nice example of how hierarchy
                  is supposed to work in gaf.

                - Piotr Miarecki's gManager (geda) and gEDA Suite's setup
                  were not distributed with this release even though
                  they are in CVS.

                - I have a working version of gaf using gtk+ 2.2.1.
                  I still need to finish up the changes to the various
                  ./configure scripts so that gaf can use either 1.2.x
                  and 2.2.x.

                - I also have a new better looking and easier to use
                  print dialog box.  A whole slew of bugs prevented me
                  from checking this code in.

        * I've made some changes which should make the win32 port (using
          mingw) work again, so I'll spend some time getting that running
          again.

DOWNLOAD:

   http://www.geda.seul.org/source.html
   http://www.geda.coelacanth.com/source.html
   http://ieee.ing.uniroma1.it/geda/source.html
   http://ftp.sunet.se/geda/source.html

BINARIES:

   Unix
   None yet

   MinGW (Win32)
   None yet

SOURCE TARBALLS:

   Name                              Size   md5sum
   --------------------------------- ----   --------------------------------
   Makefile                          17k    c504b4e360fab041c40a78a35903048e
   libgeda-20030223.tar.gz           856k   aa018d7cfe16bfd8cc535d3f37ed776e
   geda-symbols-20030223.tar.gz      502k   d8fb0b742bcdcb6d95b3efc64e6f2cf0
   geda-gschem-20030223.tar.gz       1.3M   f0cb62fb9c9d403fd0c46d2231a109c4
   geda-gnetlist-20030223.tar.gz     249k   0d8d72ec7765ee9e6aa9706392812bc9
   geda-gsymcheck-20030223.tar.gz    135k   7b585987ef7eedab16a2420b067aa1f6
   geda-utils-20030223.tar.gz        193k   c886498994d74b549e60b3071f67728c
   geda-docs-20030223.tar.gz         589k   fb9528b0cde858079dff0fc48fcf1004
                                     ----
   Total                            ~3.8M

   Required libraries (http://www.geda.seul.org/dist):
   * glib >= 1.2.3
   * gtk+ >= 1.2.3
   * guile 1.4 or 1.6.3

   Required programs (http://www.geda.seul.org/dist):
   * GNU gettext >= 0.11.5  (0.10.35 will NOT work)

   Optional libraries (http://www.geda.seul.org/dist):
   * LibStroke 0.5.1
   * libgdgeda 2.0.9
   * zlib 1.1.x
   * libpng 1.2.x

BUILDING, INSTALLING, RUNNING:

   1) Download all the above files and the required libraries.
   2) Build and install the required and optional libraries.
   3) Untar all of the geda tar files in the same directory.
   4) Set the prefix= variable in the Makefile
   5) Run: make   and set the specified variables (PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH)
   6) Run: make install

   -OR-

   1) Download all the above files and the required libraries.
   2) Build and install the required and optional libraries.
   3) Untar all of the geda tar files in the same directory.
   4) Go into each directory and run:
         ./configure            [ with --prefix=$HOME/geda if you wish ]
         make install

      You must build and install the packages in the following order:

         1. libgeda
         2. symbols
         3. gschem
         4. gnetlist