Re: gEDA-user:

Hi, Sri.

That's why I suspect this is just a feature that hasn't been done rather than an actual bug.

I would recommend the following method for updating attributes:

- On loading symbols, symbol attributes are compared against component attributes that were inherited from the symbol
- Any formatting changes are simply copied from the symbol attribute to the component attribute
- If the attribute has been deleted from the symbol, remove it from the component
- If there is a new visible attribute on the symbol, add it to the component

I would also make formatting and position of inherited component attributes non-editable. I accidentally move my component attributes all the time. We would need probably need some sort of flag on the attribute saying that it was inherited.

Bill

Sribalan Santhanam wrote:

If its implemented, its not clear which way it needs to be implemented.

Most cases, I want the older attributes to be left as is. I just don't want newer version of the same attributes of the new version of the symbol
to be promoted to cause duplicates.

In other cases, I want to nix the old attributes, and update
the component.
May require a switch in the pulldown menu options.

/sri