Re: gEDA-user: Compile under Solaris 9

Hi,

>I have since rebuilt the machine so it's clean, and installed gcc
>2.95(or whatever comes on the Solaris companion CD) because I was
>getting similar issues from bison, pcb and a few other apps.  This is
>why I don't think it's necessarily a problem with geda per se.  I'm not
>a C programmer, but I can read code and understand the basics.

	Maybe all of these apps are broken too. :)  Getting i18n working
right isn't always easy.  Please post the errors you see from other apps,
maybe those will shed some more light on what might be wrong.

>This seems to be a Solaris problem because I went on to rebuild the
>machine using Aurora Linux(it's a Linux distro based on Redhat 7.3, but
>for Sparc).  Under this distro make Xinstall returned a "Bus
>Error"(whatever that means), but all the apps, including GEDA compiled
>cleanly. I did this simply because I wanted to know if there's maybe a
>problem with the sparc architecture.  This is not the case.

	Hmmm... xinstall still should not bus error or segfault.  Something
odd is going on here.

>Can you tell me what these unresolved symbols might stem from in general
>terms.  It seems odd that several apps are haveing similar issues which
>makes me think it's something to do with the machine rather than geda.

	Just looking at the output you pasted in the last message, it
looks like a library which contains the undefined symbols is not being
added to the link line.  What's even curious is that when ./configure
cannot find a working set of i18n functions, it should fall back to the
libintl included in the distribution.  This isn't happening either.

>I'll need a few days to reinstall Solaris and all the packages again.
>I'll send you the files as soon as I have them...

	Great.  Hopefully I will be able to fix the problem for all
Solaris users.  Thanks.

							-Ales