gEDA-user: pcb footprint pad creation

Hello,

Forgive the simple question but I cannot find the answer in the scant
documentation "Pcb-20031110".  For creating a Newlib footprint, paragraph 7.2.1
"Creating Newlib Footprints" says:

3. For leaded part, select the via tool and place vias where the pads for the
part should go.  For surface mount pads, draw line segments.

4. For each via and line segment which will become a pad, select it, right-click
to bring up the popup menu and choose "edit name".  Enter the pin number and
press enter.

When using the via too, the via can indeed be named but when using the line
tool, the line segment can be named but it does not become a pad.  Furthermore,
I want the pads to be square and not rounded like lines.  Also, when using the
rectangle tool to make a pad, it cannot be named.

How to make pads?!

Thank you,
David Koski
david.nospham@KosmosIsland.com