Re: gEDA-user: Question about gEDA features

> Hello,
> so you read my postings, you know that I can't try gEDA yet, because
> I've seem to got problems with my suse edition.
> So I got only the chance to ask:
>
> Is gEDA able to handle hirarchical schematics (like one top schematic
> and serveral sub-schematics)?

Yes.  Use the attrib source=filename.sch in the top level schematic to
point to the lower level ones.

> Is gEDA able to produce Bill Of Materials?

Yes, there are several backends for gnetlist which produce BOMs of
various sorts.  My current favorite is bom2.  Usage:

gnetlist -g bom2 -o project.bom  project.sch

Note that bom2 reads a file called attribs which tells it which
attribs to include in the BOM.

Also the program gattrib is useful for attaching attribs & creating
BOMs, but it doesn't print yet.

> Is gEDA able to produce place data for professional placing and
> soldering the parts on the PCB?

I belive so, but Dan can answer this & describe PCB's capabilities
better than I.

Stuart