Re: gEDA-user: non-round PCB pins

On Fri, 4 Feb 2005 17:32:36 -0800, Matt Ettus <boyscout@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I need to make a PCB footprint for a component which has several
> "pins" which are actually metal tabs about 1/8" long.  Any ideas how
> to do this?

Do you want to solder the tabs to plated slots in the board? If so,
you may want to ask the PCB shop how they would like to see the slot
represented in the gerber and drill files.

Some places will mill a slot between two drill hits if you call that
out on the fab drawing, but they may have a minimum size for the
narrow dimension of the slot.

If you're wave soldering the parts, you could get away with two or
even one drill hole to fit the width of the tab. This would be a pain
to rework, though, because of the sheer volume of solder that would
collect between the tab and the plated sides.

--
- Charles Lepple