Re: gEDA-user: Once again problem :building gEDA vs. Suse Linux

> Hello user group,
> sorry for posting this problem again, but I still do not understand some
> things...
> Today I found the time to "play" with the gEDA builder once again.
> And I got still the same problem: Building gEDA using the iso.file
> version and Suse 9.0 fails.

First off, please run the installer with the logfile turned on.  Do this:

cd /tmp
/usr/mnt/cdrom/installer --log --verbose

this will dump a logfile into your current directory ("/tmp") called
Logfile (or something like that).   Then please post the area in the
logfile where the installer bombs out.  Don't post the whole thing --
it is too big.  Just post the specific location where the the install
process halts.

> 1. How could I get know which version I use? (Suse Professional or some
> of the other versions)

This is generally hard to tell by just looking at what's on your
machine.  Do you have the CD you installed with?  It should say
whether its a personal or professional edition.   In general, if you
downloaded your copy of SuSE from the SuSE website for free, then you
got SuSE personal.  You need to pay for the Pro verison.

> 2. If i try to use the newer librarys than the original
> suse-cd-librarys, i got following problem:
>  I extract the newer library in the same folder like the old version
> (like: /lib) but the builder use the old version.
> For example there is gtk 1.0... gtk 1.2... and gtk 2.4... in one folder
> (each als subfolder named like the version) and the builder use the
> older one, instead the new.
> What can I do???

You can't just download the libraries.  YOu need to install them too.
This process creates symlinks to the relevant library in the /lib
directory.  In the lib directory do:  "ls -l".  You will probably find
that there are symlinks pointing to the old versions of the libraries.

The easist way to get all the symlinks right -- IMHO -- is to just
grab the source & built it:  "./configure && make && make install".
Make sure you do "./configure --prefix=/path/to/your/libs" where you
put the right path in so that your system can find the new libs.

> 3. All at once I'm thinking about to upgrade the complete linux- system
> - but I think I have to understand the library and the Suse-version
> problem first.
> Now it is Suse 9.2 available - as non free "professional version" and as
> downloadable "ftp-version".
> Where is the difference? Could I use the ftp-version?

To make your life easy, get the non-free Pro version.  Otherwise, get
the Personal edition (ftp edition) and then try upgrading it by
grabbing and building the GTK (and GDK and Pango and . . . .)
sources.

Stuart