Re: gEDA-user: PCB Gtk port

Em Dom 27 Fev 2005 21:32, Dan McMahill escreveu:
> On Sun, Feb 27, 2005 at 08:51:46PM -0300, Xtian Xultz wrote:
> > Em S?b 26 Fev 2005 17:47, Bill Wilson escreveu:
> > > Hi all,
> > > Since the things left to do on the PCB gtk port are starting to look
> > > more and more like loose ends, I think it's time to give an update
> > > on its status.  Maybe it can now begin to work its way into CVS
> > > and in the meantime I'm giving a tarball link below for anyone
> > > interested in giving it a spin right now.
> >
> > Very, very exciting news! I am a PCB fan (and user, too) and that is very
> > cool.
> > Unfortunately, I couldnt compile it because my system (Mandrake 10.0) has
> > gtk 2.0 and I cant find a .rpm package for Mandrake 10 with gtk 2.4, but
> > I am downloading 10.1 to make a update and compile that pcb package.
> >
> > I have a suggestion, what people think about making a fork on the pcb
> > project, call this fork as gPCB and group it as official part of the gEDA
> > project?
>
> I'd prefer to not see a fork.  I'm planning on working with Bill to
> get the pcb port into the main PCB source tree in some way or another.
> No need to spread out developers thinner by having a fork.  Please
> have patience for a bit while we figure out how to get it all integrated
> though.
>
> -Dan

I understand. I think the mean of a fork ona project is something bad, like
because a fight on the developers, and so on, but obvioulsy its not the case
here.
I think a fork in this case is a good think because PCB have a line of
development since 1995 using Athenas and growing completely independent. I
think a fork now is not only because of the gtk port, but to become more and
more closer to gEDA to become a official part of it. IMHO a new project must
be created (on geda.seul.org) and the download of the gaf comes with gPCB
too, which does not happen today. Obvioulsy, all development made on gpcb can
be used on PCB and vice versa, like the way open source does.

Well, thats just my opinion...