Re: gEDA-user: 45deg rotation of parts

DJ Delorie wrote:
I suggest that PCB supported 45deg roation of parts. Because some
PCI chips are rotated 45 degrees so the wires to the PCI connector
are shorter.

We talked about that at the Freedawg meeting last night.  There are
some issues with losing accuracy when you're off-grid (esp when you
rotate it back on-grid).  Plus drawing angled square pads has to be
done as a polygon.

I think we'd need to remember the element as non-rotated, and
calculate the rotation on the fly, rather than rotate the contents of
the element.  Otherwise the errors accumulate.  That means a file
format change :-P

Also someone would need to go over the connection scanning code and see if it still works with 45 degree pads. I think that was one of the concerns when this topic came up before.

-Dan