Re: gEDA-user: Transistor pinout in gschem and pcb

On Thu, Feb 02, 2006 at 03:09:49PM -0200, Xtian Xultz wrote:
> Some people deffends that gschem must have "generic" pnp and npn transistors.
> In my opinion, these generic transistors only generate more confusion. If I
> cant buy a generic transistor, there must be no generic transistors in
> gschem.

First there are other uses for a schematic besides building boards
of purchased parts.  For simulating a theoretical circuit or for
documenting an asic, ... I want a generic transistor symbol.

Second my preference for all schematic symbols is to have one symbol
per device type.  This then has attributes which give the specific
type (if known), and footprint.  Since the graphics is common, there
should only be one copy.  That is easier to do if the tool has support
for it, like the ability to create a menu where entries specify the
attributs, or the ability to include a symbol within a symbol...

Don Reid