Re: gEDA-user: Silkscreen over pads

On Mon, Jan 30, 2006 at 12:12:03PM -0500, Stuart Brorson wrote:
[...]
> > I will give them the details on my problem and see what they say.
> > It's hard to imagine what sort of software they could be using that
> > would ignore the deletions, and how that same software would not have
> > problems with other CAD packages.
>
> If you're going to talk to them, I wonder if you could clarify with
> them why there are two independent instances of customer boards with
> deletions which didn't get deleted at their place?  It sounds like
> they might want to do some internal process bug fixing; having
> customers inquire about a repeated mistake might make them finally fix
> it, or at least investigate what is going on. . . .

This is what I just got back from PCBExpress customer service:

"... she reviewed your files again and realized there was a scratch
layer on your silkscreen removing the silkscreen from your pads. Our
automated service does not recognize or look for scratch layers on the
silkscreen layer so it kicked your scratch layer out of the system and
manufactured without it."

So there you have it.  Why don't they fix their software?  It's hard
to imagine.  Presumably "scratch layers" are not produced by the more
popular commercial CAD programs.

Anyway, I tested the boards and I seem to be able to get adequate
solder joints despite the overlapping silkscreen.  They offered to
re-do the order, but I'd be happier to just get a partial refund.
It's a bit tricky to ask them to refund my money given that the boards
work, just because they're a little imperfect.  Any thoughts on what
is justified here?

--
Randall