Re: gEDA-user: Installation problem - from source - SuSE 10.0 to AMD Athalon 64 300+

> Hi - I'm trying to install the gEDA package from source on a computer
> running SuSE 10.0. I'm compiling from source rather than installing
> from RPMs because I've got an AMD 64 processor.
>
> I downloaded geda-install-20060124.iso from the gEDA download page,
> wrote it to a CD, installed the extra packages from the SuSE DVD then
> installed gEDA  into /user/local/gEDA, which appeared to work, but
> while some of the executables - at /usr/local/gEDA/bin - would
> execute, gschem wouldn't
>
> I then tried installing gschem from within the
> /usr/local/gEDA/geschem directory,by typing "./configure" - which
> appeared to work, followed by "make install" which didn't.
>
> I've cut and attached the error messages from this failed attempt,
> starting at "g_funcs.o: In function `g_funcs_print':
> ../noweb/g_funcs.nw:92: undefined reference to `f_print'" which look
> as if they would be informative to someone higher in the Linux
> pecking order than I am.

This seems to be missing libgeda library.
You should install software in following order:
1. build and install libgdeda
2.  build and install libgeda
3. build and install geda-symbols
4. build and install everthing else
If you have RPMs for your distribution but for other architecture (i386
instead of x86_64 or so) then try to rebuild binary packages from source
packages. Sometimes  even looking into the specfile may help much since some
tricks (and patches) are there.
gEDA software builds correctly on 64-bit Fedora

Wojciech Kazubski