Re: gEDA-user: Installation problem - from source - SuSE 10.0 to AMD

> I installed from the geda-install-20060124.iso image on a CD-ROM,
> which should have got the order right. For various reasons, I'd
> preceded that by installing the libgeda and geda-symbols in their own
> directories, followed by a first attempt to install gschem from it's
> directory (libdgeda wasn't listed at all in the release notes - at
> least not in the section giving the preferred order of installation).
>
> If my skipping the libgdeda installation did create this problem,
> what do I need to do to get around it? Deleting the /usr/loca/gEDA
> directory is a perfectly feasible option - I could re-install
> everything from the CD-ROM in a bout half an hour.

You have probably confused the installer by first installing things
into their own directory.  Here is an entry in the FAQ:

http://geda.seul.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=geda:installation#how_do_i_uninstall_the_geda_suite

Read the two entries about uninstalling the suite.

Therefore, I suggest the easiest thing to do is delete all your old
copies of gEDA (perhaps back up your machine first), and then
re-install using the CD.

By the way, I have put a number of safety checks and other features
into the installer to try to detect and correct for strange paths,
etc.  Howwever, the installer is still kind of dumb, and if your
system is strangely configured the installer can fail to work
correctly.  The same is true of doing a manual install from source.

Finally, I do recommend always installing gEDA into its own
directory so you can delete if when you upgrade.  You seem to have
done this correctly.

HTH,

Stuart