Re: gEDA-user: quick question

> kmk wrote:
> >> Yup.  I think exporting PCB files to other formats is pretty easy
> >> (anyone want to write a DXF exporter for the new HID system? ;) but
> >> finding something to *do* with those formats is harder under *nix.
> >>

> > There is qcad which uses DXF as a native format.
> >
> >    http://www.ribbonsoft.com/de/qcad.html
> >
> > This is only 2-D but in many cases that is already sufficient.
> > The program is free enough to be included in debian.
> >
> >   ---<(kaimartin)>---
> >

> But, what is the point of exporting a PCB file to a 2D cad system? PCB
> is already 2D -

There are problems with QCAD:

1.  It's open-source, but the open-source version (available for free
download) is limited.  (Specifically, it doesn't support polylines).

2.  The freely downloadable binary version pops up an ad every 10 min.
It also closes down every 10 min.  You need to pay for the commercial
version to stop this behavior.

3.  Drawing a line or another graphical element requires 3 or 4 mouse
clicks because the menus are very deep.

4.  It's a Qt program.  GEDA is GTK.  (Not that I want to touch off a
religious war ... )

5.  Like Martin says, it's a 2D drawing program.  Therefore, it's
useless for the purpose under discussion in this thread:  modeling
your PCB for incorporation into a larger mechanical design.

Stuart