Re: gEDA-user: Building from sources

On Sunday 12 February 2006 06:44, Daniel Wisehart wrote:
> BTW, I was following the directions on Ales' page:
> http://geda.seul.org/developer.html
>
> To build the CVS version of gEDA/gaf, follow these instructions:
>
>    1. You must have the following packages installed:
>
>           * automake 1.7.x
>           * autoconf 2.57
>           * libtool 1.4.x
>           * pkg-config >= 0.15.x
>           * gettext 0.12.1
>           * guile 1.6.x
>           * gtk+ 1.2.x or 2.2.x
>           * LaTeX current
>           * latex2html current
>           * groff current
>
>       It is pretty important to have all of the above programs (especially
> automake, autoconf, libtool, gtk, and guile) installed in the same prefix
> (like /usr or /usr/local). If you do not have them all installed in the
> same prefix, then building and installing gEDA/gaf is much harder.
>
>    2. You also need the various required packages listed on the download
> web page. Mainly, glib/gtk and guile.
>
>    3. Edit the toplevel Makefile to set the prefix to something other than
> the default $HOME/geda if you so desire.
>
>    4. Type: make and set all the required environment variables (PATH,
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH, and PKG_CONFIG_PATH)
>
>    5. And finally type: make install
>
>    6. After this make finishes with NO errors, you should have a working
> gEDA/gaf CVS build.
>

> Just typing 'make' as in step four just gives you the list of targets.
> Maybe step four can be updated.

Here is my suggestion for step four:

4. Type: make, which will show what the required environment variables (PATH,
LD_LIBRARY_PATH, and PKG_CONFIG_PATH) must be set to.  Set those variables.

My problem was that I was expecting 'make' to build all the packages and then
tell me what variables I needed to set to install and run the packages.  I
did not understand that 'make' was only going to list the environment
variables that needed to be set.

Regards,
Daniel