Re: gEDA-user: Building from sources

On Sunday 12 February 2006 05:23, Stuart Brorson wrote:
> > I pulled in the sources from CVS, made sure I had all of the packages
> > listed here: http://geda.seul.org/developer.html and I am trying to build
> > gEDA from the sources for the first time.
> >
> > Running make all seems to go through the configure stage just fine, but
> > make fails in libgeda/src after building a few source files with this
> > error:
> >
> > no -L -R'f_print.c : *' ../noweb/f_print.nw > ../src/f_print.c
> > /bin/sh: no: command not found
> >
> > Is it noweb that I need?
>
> Yes.  However, I belive that if you lack noweb the configure script
> will detect this, and use a substitute guile script which does the
> same thing.  Therefore, you may have configured something wrong.
>
> Did you follow the instructions contained in the Makefile?  Building
> from CVS is different from building a distribution.  The way I do it
> is this:
>
> 1.  In the base directory, I edit the Makefile to set the "prefix" to
> point to the directory into which I want to install gEDA.  (I believe
> you can now set this variable exteranlly by saying
> "make install --prefix=/foo/bar" but I haven't tested it myself, and I
> may have screwed up the syntax slightly ... )
>
> 2.  make reconfig
>
> 3.  make config
>
> 4.  setenv LD_LIBRARY_PATH {prefix}/lib:\$$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
>     setenv PATH ${prefix}/bin:\$$PATH
>     setenv PKG_CONFIG_PATH ${prefix}/lib/pkgconfig:\$$PKG_CONFIG_PATH
>
> 5.  make install
>
> Read the top-level Makefile.  There are some explanatory comments
> inside it.

Thanks, Stuart.   Unfortunately, that did not work.

BTW, I was following the directions on Ales' page:
http://geda.seul.org/developer.html

To build the CVS version of gEDA/gaf, follow these instructions:

   1. You must have the following packages installed:

          * automake 1.7.x
          * autoconf 2.57
          * libtool 1.4.x
          * pkg-config >= 0.15.x
          * gettext 0.12.1
          * guile 1.6.x
          * gtk+ 1.2.x or 2.2.x
          * LaTeX current
          * latex2html current
          * groff current

      It is pretty important to have all of the above programs (especially
automake, autoconf, libtool, gtk, and guile) installed in the same prefix
(like /usr or /usr/local). If you do not have them all installed in the same
prefix, then building and installing gEDA/gaf is much harder.

   2. You also need the various required packages listed on the download web
page. Mainly, glib/gtk and guile.

   3. Edit the toplevel Makefile to set the prefix to something other than the
default $HOME/geda if you so desire.

   4. Type: make and set all the required environment variables (PATH,
LD_LIBRARY_PATH, and PKG_CONFIG_PATH)

   5. And finally type: make install

   6. After this make finishes with NO errors, you should have a working
gEDA/gaf CVS build.

Just typing 'make' as in step four just gives you the list of targets.  Maybe
step four can be updated.

Stuart, when I ran 'make reconfig' everything was fine.  But 'make config'
errored out:

checking for libgeda >= 20060123... Package libgeda was not found in the
pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `libgeda.pc'
No package 'libgeda' found
configure: error: Cannot find libgeda (or libgeda.pc), please install libgeda
make: *** [gschem_config] Error 1

Which seems strange that it wants me to install the thing I am trying to
build.

Regards,
Daniel