Re: gEDA-user: Starting with geda - component footprints.

sdb@xxxxxxxxxx (Stuart Brorson) wrote:

> for creating footprints.  However, newbies expect something a little
> more user-friendly.

Well if we could get our act together collectively on the footprints library
... _that_ would be user friendly.

If you don't like emacs, there is always gedit.

It's important that a footprint editor/mode have accurate command line entry,
view in a sidebar of the source code (the footprint file in a little cut and
paste capable editor (gedit in a box?)) and a set of global manipulate tools
(inc hole size, dec soldermask .1mil ... etc).  An array command (for making
tqfp pads, e.g.) could help automate the thing.

This would also be good for PCB in general: e.g. being able to change all the
soldermask globally, or change all of the 0.020 vias to have bigger holes.
(without your text editor, of course)  Being able to open the file source in a
seemless (no-overwrites) way would be sooo cool.

Phil