Re: gEDA-user: PCB footprint mapping

On Tue, Feb 21, 2006 at 08:05:59AM -0500, Stuart Brorson wrote:
> I'll chime in here.
>
> gedasymbols.org was put up by Marvin Dickens after he posted a query
> about places to find symbols and footprints for gEDA/PCB.  Since there
> was (and still is) no central repository for these things, I
> challenged him to create a site (as I recall), and he rose to the
> challenge & created it.  Unfortunately, he didn't have enough time to
> flesh out the site. Marvin issued a call for volunteers to help with
> the site, but it looks like nobody stepped forward,  Meanwhile, John
> Luciani put up his big footprint archive.  Also, most gschem symbols

Which is useless for being included in PCB because doesn't have GPL licence.
And useless for User Controlled Technology because doesn't permit
commercial distribution (I don't care if someone redistributes my GFDL
files commercially or not as long as he sticks to the GFDL licence).

> come bundled with gEDA/gaf, and an upload mechanism is in place on

I think all available symbols should be bundled with gEDA/gaf. They
don't take up much space and the engineer needs to have the symbols
in one place and is not interested in spending extra time browsing the
web, downloading symbol archives etc.

> seul.org for contributed symbols.
>
> I can feel Marvin's disappointment w.r.t. the response to his call for
> volunteers.  But my experience with open-source is similar:  some
> people participate, but most sit back and enjoy the freebies without
> contributing.  And that's fine, since it's part of the bargin you make

My experience on Ronja is different - I design something, publish the
price, volunteers eventually pay it and I release it and it works fine
and everyone is happy and the risk that it stops working is reduced
compared to situation where there is actually no motivation to do it.

If noone needs it and doesn't contribute then it's my fault - I
shouldn't develop things which are useless.

If some people seriously need it and the others don't and want it for
fun, then those serious needers pay and those other have it as freebies.

If someone tries to use it as a freebie and actually needs it then he's
motivated to pay it, because if he pays, he gets it sooner.

I think it's quite fair. More fair that the usual system without payment
where the developers work hard, don't get anything and all people have
it as a freebie no matter if they seriously need it or not.

And it is compatible with the idea of free software - that the source
should be free for everyone.

CL<