Re: gEDA-user: A Suggestion FOR Karel

On Tue, Feb 21, 2006 at 05:40:40PM -0800, Matt Ettus wrote:
> Karel,
>
> Every now and then you send out a burst of email messages all at once.
>  This time I think it was 33.  I realize that you are trying to follow
> good netiquette and keep to the rule of having one subject per
> message, which is helpful for searching threads in the archive.
> However, dealing with 33 messages plus all of their responses can
> become a bit time consuming for those of us on the list, not to
> mention those who have to generate all those responses.  It is with
> this in mind that I have the following suggestion for you:
>
> Why don't you try to group your messages by category, and send one
> message per category with all of the items in it.  This will reduce
> the traffic load and still allow for good threading.  Here are some
> categories I would suggest.  I think they will cover 99% of your
> messages.

Because it would create considerable bureaucratical overhead. I am
working on Ronja, in tiny time slots that are garbage collected through
the day and when I get an idea I send it in couple of seconds and
continue.

> 1 - Questions which are answered in the FAQ, the wiki, the
> documentation, or in the list archives.
>
> 2 - Requests for features or settings which already exist.
>
> 3 - Bug reports for nonexistent bugs.
>
> 4 - Previously denied requests.
>
> 5 - Miscellaneous insults and snide remarks.
>
> I was also going to suggest a sixth category,
>
> 6 - Patches, code, documentation, and/or help for other users.

I think that every developer should work on his own project and not the
others. Because he knows his project best. If I work on gEDA instead of
Ronja and you on Ronja instead of gEDA, it will go slower than if I work
on Ronja and you on gEDA.

> but I don't think I've ever seen you send messages which would fall
> into that category.  Anyway, I hope you find my suggestions helpful.

That's because you omitted one important class of messages which are not
sent in SMTP protocol, but HTTP POST instead - the symbols.

> While I'm at it, I'd like to once again thank all the developers of
> the programs discussed on this mailing list.  I have built a business
> around products which I developed using those tools.  They're not

And have you released the sources you created as user controlled
technology?

CL<