Re: gEDA-user: POLL: On politeness

On Friday 24 February 2006 18:31, Frank wrote:
>I was just wondering if you guys think think the emails of Marc Price
>are a breach of politeness etiquette and dimishes the quality of this
>mailing list? Should this person be removed from the mailing list? I
>include his postings below.
>
>Personally, I found that the regulars here to be extremely helpful and
>they don't deserve that kind of crap.
>Frank
>

>Excerps from Marc Price's emails
>5:08PM
>And im having a break now cos im totally pissed off with geda.
>Marc
>
>4:37PM
>Oh Well if a newbie cant work out what footprint you might as well
> scrap Geda right now It will be consigned to the grave yard of
> electronics programs.
>Marc
>
>4:25PM
>I Guess i got to say footprint= but still havent worked out what for
>diodes resistors capacitors
>also wouldnt it make sense for Gschem to have a drop down list of
>footprints and you just select the one you want .
>Marc
>
>4:15PM
> I dont think that anyone who has written these wiki has ever heared
> of KISS
>KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID
>Marc
>
>4:10PM
>This wiki is a nightmare   >:o
>Marc
>
>3:47PM
>Im not reading Bill Wilsons Tutorial I Dont Want to be influenced by
> it im Writting my own
>I am looking to Work this out in a few easy steps
>firstly why am i getting all these footprint errors.
>Marc
>
>2:53PM
>I need to make this so simple a chimp could do it then i can add it to
>my tutorial
>Can you tell me how in say 3 to whatever easy commands that a newbie
> can understand
>for example i went to a terminal and typed gsch2pcb and went
> ahhhhhhhhh blank expression.
>Im asking this for the benefit of all newbies :-P
>Marc

I'm just a lurker here, so I don't have a dog in this fight, and can
only offer an opinion which you can temper with my age of 71 & still
trying to 'keep a hand in'.

Marc may be smart enough to do what he wants to do IF he's willing to
learn the tools. Any toolkit, when first encountered, is often a scary
experience, but I think he's over-reacting to that, hence the constant
harping about this or that.  So my instant impression is that he really
should go find a toolkit that does what HE wants, and geda, sad to say
obviously isn't it.

That doing so will cost coin of the realm, and possibly do an inferior
job at the end of the day as one result some might predict, is totally
the result of his decision.  OTOH, subjecting the authors of this
software to the sort of dressing down that he has given them so far on
this list is not exactly from the Dale Carnagie book "How to win
friends and influence people".

But it should be his choice IF he decides to start treating folks in a
more friendly manner.  But note my use of the caps for the word IF.  I
suspect if he does go out and buys the far more expensive commercial
spread, and takes this attitude to their tech support, he might well
get his lacerated butt handed to him.  Having been in that position
too, I've long since learned that I can get far better results with
just a little honey than with a whole truckload of abuse.

--
Cheers, Gene
message by Gene Heskett are: