Re: gEDA-user: DB9 -> DE9

On 2/25/06, Karel Kulhavy <clock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I suggest the gschem symbols DB-1.sym and DB-2.sym to be renamed to
> DE-1.sym and DE-2.sym because according to Wikipedia it's the correct
> designation. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DB25

Regardless of which designation is correct, gEDA convention seems to
prefer creating another new symbol with a higher version number
(DE-3), rather than editing an older symbol-- that is, unless the
older symbol is truly broken. More people will recognize DB-9 over
DE-9 when looking for parts. If you really want to retire DB-1.sym and
DB-2.sym, do you have a suggestion for an upgrade path? Symbolic
links, maybe? A "deprecated symbol" warning message?

(I'm trying not to get hung up on the pedantry of the DB-9 vs DE-9
debate, but it's really difficult...)

--
- Charles Lepple