Re: gEDA-user: PCB & Gschem

On Fri, Feb 24, 2006 at 04:19:37PM -0500, DJ Delorie wrote:

> >    Yes.  There seems to be a subset of the prepubescent "'leet Linux
> > Hacker" crowd which seems to get off on pulling "hey everyone look
> > how clever I am" stunts.  It's irritating as all hell for us adults.
>
> I'm waiting for one of them to create Microsoft Visual Circuits ;-)

The success of Microsoft is because they can imagine the world from the
user's point of view. They have mediocre software. Free software
movement has better software, but generally bad ability to imaging the
world from the user's point of view. The usability is really important
for the user. That's why the market penetration today by these two types
of software is as is.

I suggest focusing on both usability and internal quality (elegance).
It's time consuming therefore I suggest to borrow the time from future
by preferring first to make things work properly and only then move on
to future features. If something is discovered to suck afterwards I
suggest to rip it out, redo the right way, and only after continue with
development.

I ended up with this strategy on Ronja and it seems to work quite well.
Seems to strike the right balance between fast chaotic progress and
bureaucracy of planning.

CL<