Re: gEDA-user: PCB lines

Hi all,

George M. Gallant, Jr. wrote:
Don't know. Viewed and printed file in gimp. Scale is wrong but line endpoints are ok.

On Mon, 2006-02-27 at 10:39 -0500, DJ Delorie wrote:
> When printing to a HP LaserJet 4000 I get lines that are drawn as
> rectangles rather than rounded ends. This makes all 45 degree
> corners have splinters and the fill areas have dart like connections
> to the lines.

Sigh, it prints fine on my laserjet 2550 (native postscript).  Are you
using the printer's postscript engine, or the CUPS converter?

When this topic came up a week or two ago, where it was an Epson postscript printer, I looked into the PS output of PCB that was posted, along with the scan of a printout. ÂThe PostScript code does indeed set the line cap style before drawing the lines, this should avoid the problem that is described here. ÂWhat appears to happen is that the PostScript engine in the printer could be buggy, or this may be another `valid' interpretation of the Postscript language `standard'. ÂWhen compared to GhostScript, the output from the printer does indeed not match. ÂI wonder if the drawing of line caps in these printers is subject to some hidden parameter that we have not set? (In the same way as there is a `miterlimit' parameter that can be set to avoid long spikes on lines that meet at acute angles.) ÂBTW, the PostScript interpreter in the HP4000 does not seem to have the `Adobe' stamp.

I can try to create a few postscript test programs that may illustrate the problem, but they will have to be actually printed on the offending hardware. ÂIn the meantime, you may have to use Ghostscript to change your document to PCL and then send that to the printer. ÂGhostscript seems to handle the line endings how we expect.

Mike
                              Mike Jarabek
                                FPGA/ASIC Designer
 http://www.istop.com/~mjarabek