Re: gEDA-user: ESR of 2.2u ceramic capacitor

On Feb 26, 2006, at 1:25 AM, Peter Brett wrote:

On Sunday 26 February 2006 02:52, John Doty wrote:

When the HETE ground station at Kwajalein was first put into service
in 2000, the RF preamps had a very short life span. Apparently the
Kwajalein Missile Range occasionally pointed a megawatt radar in our
direction :-0. I was thinking 12AT7, but we found a commercial solid
state preamp that could take the punishment.

Would it not have been possible to filter the input for high-power spikes
before the pre-amp? Just curious.

As I recall (this was a few years ago) an external filter wasn't enough to fix the trouble with the original preamp, but I believe the preamp that works reliably incorporates an internal filter.

I'm interested to hear that you work on space systems -- it's the field I want
to get into when I graduate. :)

A technological backwater, more a medieval craft than scientific engineering.

The HETE burst alert network (http://space.mit.edu/HETE/sgs.html) uses consumer VHF monitor receivers to get the downlink. Nothing fancy. I once had a NASA cost expert compute how much such a network should cost: his estimate was >100 times more than reality. The crazy thing is that a contractor proposing to do this would have to propose something approximating the NASA estimated cost, because otherwise his bid would be rejected as "risky". Then if he wins he has to use an approach backward and crummy enough to justify the cost.

NASA let MIT get away with setting this network up back in the "Smaller, Faster, Cheaper" era, but now the propaganda is that this was a failure. Failure? HETE-2 science made the AAAS top 10 breakthroughs list a couple of years ago, and the cover of Nature last year. And then there was Mars Pathfinder...

For the Chandra (a mission that squandered money hand over fist) electronics, I wound up using big, brittle, poorly spec'd 2N930's for video amps because they were on the QPL. For the other missions using that design I used BCX70K's: smaller, more rugged, and less noisy. Worked fine. But now NASA and JAXA have tightened the rules and I couldn't get away with such rationality any more.

We used to be the leaders in miniaturization: now if we tried to make a cell phone you'd need an athlete to lift it. We think that a 100 MHz processor is cutting edge.

Don't get me wrong: space exploration is a lot of fun (I work in high energy astronomy), but don't be fooled by our excellence at propaganda. Space systems were high tech 30 years ago, but no longer. Now I've got nothing against old tech if it's the best, but that isn't why we use it in space. It's the blame game: copy something old and if it fails it's not your fault, but if you try something new...

So if it's space you're interested in, get involved, but come in with your eyes open.

The next human you see on the Moon will be Chinese. You will never see a human on Mars (but NASA will squander $100 billion pretending to prepare to send one).

jpd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx