Re: gEDA-user: Making an odd-shaped PCB

On Sun, 4 Feb 2007 23:27:47 GMT
msokolov@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Michael Sokolov) wrote:

> Hellow PCB developers and users,
>
> As my design enters the pre-layout stage, I have a number of stupid
> newbie questions about PCB.
>
> Here is my first stupid newbie question.  The board that I need to make
> is not rectangular, but has an odd shape.  (See my previous post about
> copying someone else's form factor.)  How does one capture the odd shape
> (cutouts and shaved corners) in PCB?
>
> Let me break this question down into subquestions:
>
> 1. How are odd-shaped boards generally made?  Does the PCB manufacturer
>    make a rectangular board first and then cut/shave/file it down as
>    necessary?
>
> 2. In the .pcb file there is a PCB() or PCB[] record specifying the
>    board size.  Should I set it to the size that the rectangular board
>    would have had if the answer to Q1 was 'yes', or something different?
>    (A little larger?)
>
> 3. In this mailing list traffic I have overheard something called the
>    outline or fab layer.  What exactly is it and how does it work?  And
>    first of all, are "outline layer" and "fab layer" two different terms
>    for the same thing, or are they two different things?
>
> 4. What should the outline layer look like?  Is it a set of lines and
>    arcs forming a closed path that encircles the complete shape of the
>    finished PCB, however odd it is, or just the cutouts?  This question
>    links back to question 2, and is best illustrated by an example.
>
> Suppose my finished board needs to look like this:
>
>   |<---------------------- 7672 mils ----------------------->|
>  A|                                                          |B
> --+-----------------------------------+----------------------+--
> ^ |                                   |   AC mains           | ^
> | |                                   |   connector          | | 2040
> | |                                   | mils
> | |         This line is imaginary <--|                      | |
>   |                                   |                      | V
> 6 |                                   +----------------------+--
> 5 |                                   |E  ^                  |F
> 6 |                                   |<--|-- 2600 mils ---->|
> 0 |                                   |   |
>   |                                   |
> m |                                   |   4
> i |                                   |   5
> l |                                   |   2
> s |                                   |   0 mils
> | |                                   |
> | |                                   |   |
> V |                                   |   V
> --+-----------------------------------+----
>  C|                                   |D
>   |<----------- 5072 mils ----------->|
>
> (This is actually a simplification, the real thing is even more
> complex!)
>
> Here's what my question boils down to: should I make the "total board
> size" as reckoned by PCB 7672 x 6560 mils (7672 mils = AB distance, 6560
> = AC distance), or something larger?  If I choose the exact ABxAC
> [...]

In PCB (at least the CVS version, not sure about 20060822) you can define
a "magical" layer called "outline", be sure to define it in a seperate
group. On that layer just draw the entire outline of the board using the
line (and arc?) tools. It may be a good idea to mention this layer
explicitly in a readme included with your gerbers when you send it off to
you boardhouse. I tested it with eurocircuits and it works.

I don't know how boardhouses make oddly shaped PCB's, I only know they
get more expensive if they have to throw away more unused material :-).

HTH

Hans

$ cat .sig /dev/null