Re: gEDA-user: Re: dxf?

Hello,
Well for one thing, you certainly understand DXF much better than I, and have more experience with it. Also, you have mechanical design experience that I lack.
How are you writing the DXF? I am using dxflib to read DXF files in my other project. dxflib is a GPL's C++ DXF library that is used in QCAD. http://www.ribbonsoft.com/
dxflib is pretty easy to use for reading DXF, but requires knowledge of DXF file structure to correctly output a DXF file.

-dave

Bert Timmerman wrote:
Hi all gEDA users,

As of last december I'm trying to write a DXF exporter for pcb.

Currently exporting straight traces, filled rectangles  and circles (drill
holes) goes well, polygons and curved traces and a round end cap style are a
bit more difficult to implement.

So it's still experimental (it does create dxf files with entities and
doesn't segfault every time the HID is started).

I guess it will take the better part of Q1/2007 to finish this 0.0.1 release
of this exporter.

Now for the original poster.

As I understand this one has to do with an importer for DXF entities.

I can see a possible usability of both exporter and importer if we want to
improve the development of Printed Circuit Assembly (PCA).

PCA != PCB , so for now we develop pcb's with pcb by the electronics
oriented people and PCA by the mechanical oriented people with a mechanical
CAD application.

Speaking for myself, as a mechanical oriented person, the entities I would
like to have in DXF-files for PCA are:

1) Outline contour as a polyline (and extrude this to board thickness).

2) List of XY-coordinates and top/bottom for all footprints (packages)
exported as a list of XREF's.

3) Trace segments of top/bottom/inside ?? layers as info.

Basically 3) would be eye-candy because of the limitations of what
mechanical oriented people could/would like to do with it.

OTOH for physical engineers this could be used for FEA in RF simulations,
heat transfer, EMC and whatnot as long as your FEA software knows what to do
with DXF files. YMMV ;-)

With these files a mechanical 3D model could be made to see wether the PCA
would fit in the virtual product.

If changes would be neccesary, a DXF importer for pcb would be handy for
changed outlines or XY-coordinates or top/bottom information of the packages
involved.

As I recall a pcb "importer" is a concept not yet implemented in the HID way
of doing things, for it is not a printer and is not an exporter.

Printer and exporter HID's are driven by a GUI or batch HID.

So for importing stuff we would need some kind of (batch) UI, either GUI or
TUI or CLI to drive the DXF importer.

Just my EUR 0.01

Kind regards,

Bert Timmerman.