Re: gEDA-user: Newbie question regarding a gnetlist error

On Friday 09 February 2007 10:23, Seb James wrote:
> gnetlist -g drc2 fdbconnectors.sch -o gnetlist_fdb.txt
>
> to check each schematic. This one in particular generates the error:
>
> ERROR: Net 'connx51' is connected to only one pin
>
> There is a similar error in my other connectors schematic.
>
> What I don't understand about the error, is where the net 'connx51' comes
> from. I have named the nets of all of the i/o elements (input-2.sym and
> output-2.sym) in this schematic connx51:1, connx51:2 etc.
>
> As far as I can see, there is no other mention of connx51, without a ':'
> character in it.

Following up to my own email:

I have been reading the http://geda.seul.org/wiki/geda:na_howto page which is
teaching me about the net attribute.

I learned this:

When you specify the net attribute on an i/o symbol, it only has 1 pin, and
it's to that pin which you are referring. I was giving the net attribute a
name which related to the pin on the connector - I thought that it was _just_
a label, and was including the pin number in the net name to keep things
clear in my own mind.

It would be worth stating this explicitly in the excellent howto at:

http://geda.seul.org/docs/current/tutorials/gsch2pcb/tutorial.html

Something like this, if I understood it correctly:

The "value" attribute is simply a label, so that you know the name of the
signal when you look at the schematic. The "net" attribute is what gnetlist,
gsch2pcb (etc?) use to track the connection of the signals between different
schematics. Here the "net" attribute has the value vmixer:1, reflecting the
name of the signal, and stating that the pin is 1, because an i/o symbol has
only one pin.

Regards,

Seb James