Re: gEDA-user: Re: ground plane fill

DJ Delorie wrote:

I think to do this sanely, we'd need to add the feature whereby every
line, arc, pin, and polygon know which net they're supposed to be
connected to, regardless of the actual electrical connection.

This is a big project, but it's been talked about a little.

Yep. That's not a conflict either -- it just means, "in this time instant".

Right after you make a change, the next DRC run could find a rule violation like two touching track-sections or drawing objects, (whatever you call them), have attributes of different nets...so you need to fix that. whether DRC is run as you go, or occasionally is a user option, so having every drawing object hold an attribute of "the net I am a part of" is a good plan by me.

Adding net attribs to lines, arcs, pins, and polygons may cause some sluggishness for large layouts. That will be the time to ask for some dollars to deploy gnetman to hold the layout object data in memory to get its database function speedups.

John G