Re: gEDA-user: Footprint for an SMT chip resistor array

DJ Delorie wrote:

We've used the EXB-28V series on several boards. With some feedback from one of our board stuffers the footprint solders very repeatably.

What was the feedback, if we may ask?

As I recall, it involved
(1) Increasing the size of the 4 corner pads. The Panasonic data sheet doesn't do a good job of describing the optimal land pattern. The end pads are really quite a bit larger than the middle pads.
(2) Modifying the solder resist to prevent any thin slivers from showing up between the pads.
(3) Sightly reducing the amount of paste on the pads. I didn't do much with this since the bloat/shrink for the paste pattern relative to the mask opening seems to be global and I didn't want to mess up any of the other small parts on the board.

Obviously these tweaks are relative to the pad design I started with (don't remember where it came from). It has silkscreen under it for polarity indication which you might want to remove.

The last board I put this footprint on came out looking very nice.

Joe T