Re: gEDA-user: VMPlayer Image

VMWare Player is free. There are also freeware tools out there to create VMWare images. From there you can do your linux + gEDA install and you are ready to go.

The hook I've encountered in the past is I was never able to get the CD installs for gEDA to work on Fedora on a VMWare image. That may have changed recently.

I've also tried qemu. It works but is an order of magnitude slower than VMWare. Interestingly certain linux variants were much slower than others on qemu. I did run Fedora Core under qemu for awhile and it was servicable. But once VMWare player was free there was no going back, the performance difference was substantial.

From: John Griessen <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: gEDA-user: VMPlayer Image
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2007 19:44:27 -0600

Craig Niederberger wrote:
*Yes*.  My EECS students prefer to run linux inside vmware, as they
typically have laptops with single drives.

Joshua Boyd wrote: > What VMware does very right is that it allows you to easily move virtual > machines, in the form of images, from one machine to another.

I heard from a professor that the concept of offering server machines loaded with gEDA and such was a dead issue because of VMware's market share and popularity for avoiding installation time, and just using huge areas of disks
as tools. I suppose some people might have 5 or so disk images they use in order to avoid integrating it all and getting 5 tools/entertainment_programs that way. Is that a good guess?

Is VMware's emulation now THAT good, that the usual 2GHz+ hardware has no trouble with it? and they offer a freebie now? (If you get someone else's image)

How many images can run at once with "Player"?
Is that their marketing ploy? If you want real convenience, you need a VMware license?

John G