Re: gEDA-user: Re: VMPlayer Image

On Sun, 18 Feb 2007, John Griessen wrote:

>Igor2 wrote:
>> About debian, i had such a project some time ago
>
>  The only part
>> that actually needed some thinking was how to get it work in a chroot with
>> the already running X server.
>
>[jg]Is that a working thing, now?

Yes, as it's totally independent of the host linux, as long as the host
has an X server and mount --bind and chroot, it should work.

>  A nice example on using
>> squashfs is iSteve's Olive, which is a live cd featuring abiword, mozilla,
>> irc clients and other common apps and takes only about 70 megs
>
>[jg]That sounds good for putting on a USB flash drive...which might seem even
>more convenient to some than turning on VMware  -- only for customers with a
>linux box of course, and we were talking windows...

You would need to replace the booting process i think (it boots with
isolinux which is for CDs, i am not sure what's needed for usb). For
windows, if i get it right vmware would run a linux from an image, and i
wanted to point out that we already have a relatively small tarball which
could be used as a base for such an image.