Re: gEDA-user: DIY brass stencils

DJ Delorie wrote:
The issue is that, if you're etching through 5 mil of brass, you
should expect 5 mil of undercutting. I don't think there's much of a
way around that, so I'm kinda limited to a 5 mil radius by the time
I'm through the panel.

What about the methods of electro-polishing? I think that may apply in some commercial secret formulas to get a better etch wall... A lot of those kinds of ideas get discussed on the MEMS list, but often with non metal -- more SiO2 etching. In electro-polishing, the etchant has gelling properties adjusted so the effective concentration in a low area or corner is less than on a high spot or straight long edge. At first everything etches at the same rate, but then the etchant trapped in corners and at the bottom of the undercut gets depleted.

That kind of formula might give better corners while still giving a slanted edge like the first experiment with the wiping technique. (Just idea generating -- not tried by me yet)

Spray etching or good stirring with a slight amount of gel added might be good...

John G