gEDA-user: Recent symbol/pcb-footprint problems

People (Stuart and Dan),

I appreciate your recent responses on my symbol/pcb-footprint problems.
I seem to have it resolved now, but I VERY little understanding about
what happened.

As I indicated earlier, I was running a CentOS system (an enterprise
RedHat derivative).  Not only was I having problems with the
symbol/footprint stuff that you people saw, but other problems began to
appear as well.  Actually, I thought I might be loosing a disk, and I
spent about a day just working with that possibility.  Finally, in a
meeting with another party who was also a CentOS user, he was
complaining about his operating system in general and indicated that he
intended to switch OSes in the future.

With this information, I downloaded Fedora Core-6 and installed it.
My various problems seem to have disappeared, but I do still have an
item for Stuart.

With the FC-6 installation, I decided to try gEDA-20070221 again as I
already had the disk cut.  Same problem I contacted Stuart about as
before, do I thought that I would simply reload my earlier version.  It
wouldn't load either.

At that point I began to suspect that something my my earlier operating
system might have been fouling up cdrom disk creation, so I re-created
gEDA-20070221 under FC-6.  Lo and behold, I could start the
installation!

I still ran into a problem though.  The new OS hadn't loaded
guile-devel, and the installation stalled in a screen telling me about
that problem and waiting for me to click a non-existant button on the
GUI.  This wasn't debilitating though as I had other means of doing the
guile-devel installation, and once that was done Stuarts' CD ran to
completion.

I have since check the earlier problem, and gsch2pcb now seems to work
properly, and I use the symbols I had created earlier.

Many thanks.

    Harold Skank