gEDA-user: PCB Element IDs

I'm in PCB and I'm loosing component IDs.  For example U101 was there
when I started layout but after positioning and moving U101 is still
there without its ID.  It may return in any case if I exit PCB and
re-enter re-load etc all is restored.  Is there something that I can do
to get round this?  I am trying to get all U1xx and R1xx in the same
board area and not knowing the ID is a problem.

Second hick I am having is with moving the component ID when it is
visible.  Most times I can grab and move, other times I can select the
component but I am not able to grab its ID.  Regards Ian.  PCB is
version 20070912