Re: gEDA-user: wacky (or not?) solder stencil ideas

On Feb 15, 2008, at 2:36 PM, Dave N6NZ wrote:
> Yesterday while I was at the TechShop experimenting with the laser
> cutter and talking about solder stencils with other folks, this idea
> came up:

*grumble*...living in a gorgeous area but it's a technological
wasteland...*growl*

> 1) Take 3mil brass sheet, and paint both sides with "machinists' blue
> stuff" -- I'm not sure what it's properly called, but it's a blue
> paint
> that they put on metal so that they can scribe layout marks.

   It's called "layout dye", FYI.

> 2) Slap it in the laser cutter, and print the paste layer on it with
> just enough laser power to blast away the blue paint.  (The CO2
> laser is
> the wrong wavelength for cutting metal, it just reflects off.)

   Initial reaction...As someone who has worked with high-power
lasers in a previous life, the last thing you want is laser light
reflecting around...especially IR light from a CO2 cutting laser.
That's so dangerous I don't even want to think about it.

             -Dave

--
Dave McGuire
Port Charlotte, FL